Sunday, July 11, 2010

川越 Kawagoe



Last weekend, I went to the historic city of Kawagoe to the north. I was accompanied by my host mom and sister, Nagashima-san from the co-op, and the genkiest おじいちゃん old man tour guide ever, who speaks English and was only too happy to explain everything to me in the tiniest details. He was cute, but set far too high expectations for the day, as we tired out pretty quick and had to call it quits early. I took a lot of pretty photos though, have a look.


This is a special thing you walk through in a figure-8 for good luck.



The gardens of Kitain Temple.


533 Buddhist monk statues. These were awesome, every one is different. I took a lot of pictures of these which are on Facebook.


SWEET POTATO LUNCH. I WAS VERY PLEASED.


This was an eel うなぎ restaurant which had a lovely pond of koi and a little bridge. The tour guide said, "There's normally an eel in here... but I don't see it so maybe they ate it."

Anyway, we walked all over, went to the museum, ran into one of the other guys doing the same internship I am since he is living in Kawagoe, ate a lot of sweet potato-related goods (my favorite was dual sweet potato/taro soft serve, DELICIOUS). I was for real tired at the end of the day, but we saw a lot of cool things so overall it was a good experience, and I am always happy to make somebody who wants to speak English with me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment