Tuesday, March 31, 2009

karaoke and Kobe

So, gosh, I have so much to catch up on... I had a pretty cool weekend after a pretty lame week, but today (I wrote this on Sunday) I'm glad that I finally have some time to myself because... it's been a while.

This weekend, one of my host family's former host students Mary came to visit with her boyfriend, Taka. She's been doing JET for the past 3 years in Nagano. It was really great to hang out with another native speaker of English, and she brought a lot of upbeat energy to the house. We went out for karaoke (my host dad, Aika, Ryoto my younger host bro, Mary, Taka and I) and sang our hearts out. I hadn't been with my host family yet, even though I know they all really like to sing (and they're all very good, as well). Hiro, my host dad, was taught how to sing by (are you ready for this) his host dad's ex-wife in New York City, where he then had a job as a lounge singer for a short while. His favorite singer is Billy Joel. It was really a pleasure to hear him sing finally (he sang in Japanese, English, and Korean). I hear my host sister Aika singing to herself all the time, and she belted out some JPop, sometimes teaming up for a duet with Ryoto, who surprised me the most. He's 16 (almost 17 I suppose, he's pretty much the exact same age as my brother) and he sang soulful JPop ballads that will surely make any girl swoon. His English pronunciation was also excellent (his "major," I guess specialty? concentration? in high school is English, but I don't ever hear him speak it). I busted out my usual fare and kicked off with the Evangelion opening, since it's by far the nerdist song I know in Japanese. My host family likes to make fun of me for being a nerd (otaku), and I figured it doesn't get much nerdier than Eva (probably the most influential giant robot anime of the past 15 years). They had never heard me sing before and said nice things about my Japanese pronunciation. I fully stand by karaoke as a great means of improving your language skills, since you have to read fast, and also you can hear what you're supposed to sound like and mimic that to your best ability. It's pretty effective.

Sadly, I don't have any really cool PVs to share (this karaoke place, or maybe it was our song selection, wasn't so big on the official PVs).

The next day, Aika, Mary, Taka and I went to Kobe, which is a really cool city. It's not all that far from where we live (maybe an hour and a half all together, including the 20 minute walk from our house) and I would really like to spend more time there. It's very international, which is maybe the most interesting thing. We went to this cute district with lots of European-style houses that you can walk through (you have to pay to get in, though), which isn't that exciting if you've been to Europe or New England, but I can see how native Japanese people (or someone living abroad here) would get a kick out of that kind of architecture. We took a lot of great pictures, although unfortunately my camera battery was dying so I had to conserve.


Uroko House, so named because the exterior walls look like uroko (fish scales).



We ate all-you-can-eat Chinese food in China Town, which was welcome at the time because I was starving (it was about 3 PM by the time we finally ate), but towards the end I definitely started to feel a little sick, probably because I ate too much.

I took this from my cell phone since my camera battery was dying. This is Kobe Port Tower, I think it's called.


Pirate ship, I'm not sure why.

Our next stop was Merikan Park/Harborland, which is definitely another futuristic date spot. I think if there's a Ferris wheel, it automatically counts as a futuristic date spot. We took some purikura and rode the Ferris wheel and walked through the malls, which were really cute. I wish I weren't so broke right now, because I would really love to go shopping... I desperately want another pair of Japanese shoes, but they're pretty expensive and they also don't carry my size a lot of the time. I'm an LL in Japanese sizes (that's large large) despite being an average 8 in the US, and most places don't carry that size (or at least, whenever I ask they're like, no way). Harborland also had a disproportionate amount of gelato and boba (which is called "tapioca" in Japanese, you may know it as bubble tea), but I am definitely okay with that.




6 comments:

  1. Actually, Eva is considered the second most influential anime ever, right after our good friend Astro Boy for stealing Disney's googly-eyes, and shaping the literal face of the technique.
    Eva brought Anime to the amazing psychological fuck-up'd-ness that it is today.
    It's so much more than Mecha-win, it's めちゃwin.
    Yes, I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I was going to go for most influential giant robot anime ever, but didn't really have the stats to back that up, so thanks, Chris.

    少年、神話になれ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And with three words and a particle, I have a song stuck in my head.
    残酷な天使のシエナ

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol thanks for that Chris, I will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't look to thrilled in that pikura there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. w/e, I was kind of tired I guess. Maybe I was just not at my usual level of dazzling radiance.

    ReplyDelete