Sunday, March 29, 2009

上野公園 Ueno Park

I am terribly behind on my spring break adventures so here's the digest version.

The night bus to Tokyo was definitely an adventure, and not one I think I want to repeat in the near future. I got to to Tokyo Station at 5:30 in the morning (ACK) and had to kill a lot of time before I went to pick up Andy at Narita at 2, so I wandered around Ueno Park and took a million pictures and eventually went shopping when the stores opened up at 10. Here's some photo highlights, there's an entire album on Facebook.


Okay, so this isn't actually Ueno Park, it's Ueno Station, but I love this mosaic and remember it from the very first time I was in Japan with my family. We must have been here to take the train to Narita, because I remember being exhausted but thinking this was really cool.


You wash your hands here before approaching the shrine.


These are fortunes. You tie them up.


Some cherry blossoms.


I looooove five-story pagodas. I could only photograph this one from behind a fence and some trees, though.


More sakura.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you took the night bus from Kyoto. I did that, and it was probably my least favorite part of Japan. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it kind of sucked, Andy and I were both like 'never again'... at least he slept on the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we were there. We were exhausted because we had been dropped off at the subway station (do to language difficulties) and had to drag our luggage a couple blocks to the train station. Fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that far to the train station for the airport, but it's also not very clearly marked either... I struggled myself and I'm at lot better at reading Japanese now than I was then!

    ReplyDelete