Tuesday, March 10, 2009

PVとプリクラ

Ugh, I am so tired!! I had fun tonight though. I've been slacking a little on my documentation of fun things that I'm doing... so I'll take this moment to catch up a little.

I've been to karaoke 2 more times, once with Ryoko and her friends Kana and Mahoko, and also a fellow exchange student (and Californian) Andrew (he's Ryoko's other Speaking Partner as well, by coincidence). Andrew and I had a pretty good time doing various ridiculous duets, including but not limited to Britney Spears' Toxic, My Heart Will Go On, and A Whole New World. It was definitely fun to have another native English speaker around for the ride.

Here's the プリクラ to prove it happened:



This one cracks me up, although some weird digital glitch happened and Ryoko's face got all distorted, so she stuck a flower over it (I think she did this from her cell phone? Crazy).

This was the PV of the night, care of Mahoko. I really enjoy the SNES motif and the multiple costume changes.



Hey, did you know YouTube lets you choose your video control bar when embedding videos now? I chose blue to match my blog!

And then today, I went out with my other Japanese crew (Ai and her friends Asami and Misato) and switched off English and Japanese every other song. I rocked Pat Benetar's Heartbreaker, which I have been searching for. I also got to do Sublime's Same in the End, which came as a great surprise to me because they only had 2 Sublime songs (the other being What I Got, I was looking for Santeria) and that one is not that well known. Asami won the best song choice though when she pulled out Queen's Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy. I was in the middle of singing Say It Ain't So when she queued it up, I stopped and went I LOVE THAT SONG!!! We were happy because no one ever knows that one, Japanese or American, and it's one of my personal favorites. I also got to do the pillows' Century Creepers which I had been wanting to try out. I can't hit the very lowest lines but it was otherwise a success. I closed with Life Is Like A Boat, because nobody knows who I really am.

I seem to have started a tradition of always doing the pillows' The Third Eye for my first song. I really like that song.

Have your プリクラ:

I think the effects they do on the eyes make me look kind of like an alien. Not to mention the skin color thing.

Prompt: karaoke, obviously. I gave it my all. And Misato drew us some nice microphones.

PV of the night was this one, from Misato. Possibly the most female-empowering PV I've ever seen? It's also really weird, but enjoyable! I picked pink this time! ALSO, I can't seem to find the official PV anywhere on the Internets, so this isn't the original, it's some random person singing, but the important part is the video. This girl sounds cute though.



A note on Japanese PVs: It is of note that Japanese music videos are not called music videos, they are called promotional videos, or PVs for short. To the native English speaker and liberal arts student that I am, this would suggest to me that these videos are not about making art surrounding other art, they are about promoting a product to be consumed. And certainly, not all Western music videos are intended as works of art, and certainly a cool music video helps you sell a song, but I'd like to preserve artists' integrity a little bit, wouldn't you?

Okay, and I want to leave you with one more PV, because I love this song (fans of Bleach will recognize it), and I had never seen this PV before and it's so cute. (See Andy, I told you this was a happy song.)



Ugh this girl is adorable. And look at her play that piano!

Okay, I think that's enough from me for tonight, I do have some homework I should be doing. ALSO THIS IS THE LAST WEEK OF CLASSES BEFORE SPRING BREAK YES!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I resent your comment about Queen.
    That's #1-2 on my Queen list.
    That, with Somebody to love and Killer Queen, is my fave.

    So much プリクラ...
    You don't look too alien, kinda cute actually~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Chris, don't get so bent out of shape. Killer Queen was my #1 of days of yore, I have not deeply considered the order of my favorite Queen songs in quite some time though.

    And thanks, I guess. :X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the pv with the costume changes and the second one...is there a cow pooping in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably. Japan is a feces-friendly culture, you know.

    ReplyDelete